1/13/15 KYBU Meeting

KYBU Meeting

Library Community Room

1/13/15 – 5:00pm

Meeting Notes Corrections:  Committee members who wish to correct these meeting notes, please send corrections to notes@kyburadio.org. Please note that these are not minutes but personal notes that are not necessarily accurate or complete but hopefully helpful.

Attendees:  Sharon, Jay, Lew, Max, Emily, Dixie, Clive, and Mary Jane

Agenda:

Introductions

New People/New Shows

Bulletin Board

AAHP

T-Shirts

Workshop

Autoduck

EERP

Website

Backup Transmitter

Basketball

New People/New Shows: Jay is working on a new series for the Almanac show.  He asked about whether it would be better to record on a computer, recorder, or in the studio and would like to work with his son editing his black history shows.

Emily would like to check on some of the people who were interested in making a show, such as Suzanne, Bob, Mario, Mickey, Brittany and James, and Blair.  Lew and Emily will contact them and invite them to our next workshop.

A brief discussion was held about the Bioneers (Revolution from the Heart of Nature), Ted Talks, and other shows.  Lew would like to see more locally-produced shows.

Bulletin Board:  Sharon will cover weeks of January 19, 26, and February 9 and will contact Sandy about covering weeks of February 16, 23, and March 2 as Sharon will be gone for three weeks.

AAHP:  Weather permitting (it may rain), we will go out to pick up litter Saturday, January 17.  Meet at the coffee shop at 10am.  Emily will send out an email inviting volunteers.

T-Shirts:  Per Emily, we need to order more.  We are thinking of having a contest for a new design with a March 1st deadline.

Workshop:  Emily will bring scripts to re-do.  Bring recorders and meet at the Library Commons on Sunday, January 25, at 10am.

Autoduck:  Per Lew, the first tract is music and the second tract is voice.  Autoduck automatically lowers the music volume during the voice portions.  This works well, and the volume is adjustable.  We could practice this at a workshop.

EERP:  Lew talked with Pat of the Eel River Recovery Project about doing a short weekly report of what’s happening in the River.  It would be no more than ten minutes and pretty consistent in length and would play at 7:15am and again at 9:15am.  Emily will set him up with a user name and password and email that to Lew.  We need a PSA for the show.

Backup Transmitter:  The backup transmitter has finally arrived and needs to be tested, which can be done after the workshop (around 1pm).

Basketball:  We will cover two games next week that start at 5:30pm, so Lew needs someone in the studio at 5:20pm.  The person only needs to stay about ten minutes.

1/6/15 KYBU Meeting

KYBU Meeting

Library Community Room

1/6/15 – 5:00pm

Meeting Notes Corrections:  Committee members who wish to correct these meeting notes, please send corrections to notes@kyburadio.org. Please note that these are not minutes but personal notes that are not necessarily accurate or complete but hopefully helpful.

Attendees:  Imil, Lew, Mike, and Mary Jane

Agenda:

Introductions

New People/New Shows

Car Donations Program

AAHP

Dramas

Party

Monitor Bad Radio

New People/New Shows: Jay is working on revising some of his old shows and Black history show.  Tomorrow is a basketball show at 6:30pm.

Car Donations Program:  Mary Jane made a brief report on the old car donations program.  The Friends of the Eel River have an old car donation tab on their website with two car donation organizations:  Cars 4 Causes and Center for CAR Donations.  At the SF community radio conference, we met Jacquie Elliott of the Center for CAR Donations.  Soon after the conference, we discussed this offer at one of our weekly meetings.  Jacquie had assured us that they would pick up old cars at our remote location for free and KYBU would receive a small amount of money for each car that was donated.  This matter was brought up again recently at a meeting.  Mary Jane has been in contact with Jacquie and will go forward with the required application for the Center for CAR Donations.  Lew pointed out that we might need a disclaimer that not every old car might be accepted by this program.

AAHP:  It’s been quite a while since our last litter cleanup.  It was decided our next scheduled litter cleanup is for Saturday, January 17.  Mary Jane will ask Emily to post this in the KYBU newsletter.

Dramas:  Mary Jane reported that she will keep checking Radio Theater Project to see if they have added more dramas to be downloaded for the Raven Theater show, which has been off air for about six months pending more dramas.  The website was supposed to have more dramas added in January.  A recent check showed no new dramas have been added yet.

Party:  Lew reported that we grossed $2600, spent $1000, and netted $1700.  We received 11 new memberships and 15 renewals.  Compared to last year, this is just about the same for money and memberships.  Last year’s raffle was more successful.  There was adequate help at the party and cleanup ended at 1:30am.  The music and food were great, and everyone had a good time.  We have about $150 in wine left over.

Monitor Bad Radio:  Lew reported that some people have told him that some announcements (vocals) are not as loud as the shows (music), and he is requesting that people monitor this issue and provide details so something can be done it.

KYBU Meeting

Library Community Room

12/16/14 – 5:00pm

 Meeting Notes Corrections: Committee members who wish to correct these meeting notes, please send corrections to notes@kyburadio.org. Please note that these are not minutes but personal notes that are not necessarily accurate or complete but hopefully helpful.

Attendees: Joshie, Kramer, Billy, Lew, Sharon, Mary Jane, Daniel, and Ryan

Agenda:

Introductions

New People/New Shows

Bulletin Board

Party Recap

No Meetings

Old Car Donations

Brendan Phillips

Community Radios

Filezilla

New People/New Shows: Billy reported he enjoyed being in the station after last week’s meeting and learning more about making a show.

Bulletin Board: Sharon will cover weeks of December 22 and 29. Hopefully, Sandy will cover the first two weeks of January. Sharon will try again to interest Bulleting Board volunteers.

Party Recap: This matter was tabled till next meeting. Everyone had a good time.

No Meetings: There will be no weekly KYBU meetings on December 23 and 30. Lew will put a sign on the door. The next meeting will be January 6.

Old Car Donations: Mary Jane emailed Lew and Emily that the Friends of the Eel River have a car donation tab on their website and thought we consider putting something similar on our website. A previous discussion was held sometime after we attended the community radio conference in San Francisco but never followed up on. We were offered a program where they pay the radio station for our old car donations that they haul away from here. Mary Jane will find the information and bring it to the next meeting for further discussion.

Brendan Phillips: Daniel reported that Brendan wants to make up for not coming here last time. He is coming to the Kate Wolf event June 19, 20 and 21 in 2015 and wants to come here, too. We could have our membership party then. Lew suggested we also have a booth at the festival for low-power local radio stations to connect. There was a brief discussion about relocation of our transmitter, about having low-power local radio stations get together to share a stronger transmitter, and about looking again into streaming. Per Lew, streaming has different rules from broadcasting, such as no albums and a maximum number of songs by the same person in a show. Arcata is where the streaming techs are. Lew said one of the low-power coastal stations only streams and he thinks KMEC streams.

Filezilla: Ryan asked if anyone knew how to use Filezilla. Joshie and Sharon were willing to help him at the end of the meeting.

12/9/14 KYBU Meeting Notes

KYBU Meeting

Library Community Room

12/9/14 – 5:00pm

 Meeting Notes Corrections: Committee members who wish to correct these meeting notes, please send corrections to notes@kyburadio.org. Please note that these are not minutes but personal notes that are not necessarily accurate or complete but hopefully helpful.

Attendees: Max, Emily, Bill, Billy, Mary Jane and Eric

Agenda:

Introductions

New People/New Shows

Party 12-13-14

Chairs

Ad Council PSAs

KMUD News

Tribal Liaison

Merch@mercantile

No Meeting Dec. 23

New People/New Shows: Billy lives is SF and likes to listen to the shows. He has a lot of music and wants to record four shows and eventually go live. He is a photographer. Emily and Max filled Billy in on how to become a programmer.

Party 12-13-14:   Per Emily, Blair and Izzy will do appetizers, Madelyn will do desserts, and Sandy and Steve will bring Shushi.   Emily will go Thursday to get the drinks in Santa Rosa, weather permitting.

Chairs: The two new chairs for the station have been purchased and should be here tomorrow.

Ad Council PSAs: Per Max, we now have two separate PSA rotations, one for the Ad Council PSAs, and the other for local PSAs. This was needed because there were so many Ad Council PSAs added. We need to discuss guidelines when more people are here.

KMUD News: KMUD’s server had a problem Friday. That’s been fixed and it should play tonight for us.

Tribal Liaison: This is exciting. Eric brought the Tribes’ underwriter check to cover five tribal entities that will recycle, each one for two weeks. The entities are the gas station/convenience store, casino, the Tribes, the motel, and Hidden Oaks Park. Emily still needs more information to help them figure out the scripts to record.

Merch@ Uptown Merchantile: Per Emily, Merch@mercantile is now selling our swag. We’ll need to buy more swag.

No December 23 Meeting: There will be no KYBU meeting on Tuesday, December 23.

12/2/14 KYBU Meeting Notes

KYBU Meeting

Library Community Room

12/2/14 – 5:00pm

  Meeting Notes Corrections: Committee members who wish to correct these meeting notes, please send corrections to notes@kyburadio.org. Please note that these are not minutes but personal notes that are not necessarily accurate or complete but hopefully helpful.

Attendees: Max, Russ, Emily, Eric, Dixie, Ryan, Jay, Lew, Mary Jane, Blair, Daniel, Mike, and Clive

Agenda:

Introductions

New People/New Shows

Truck Parade

12/13 Party

Basketball

Small Stations

Tribal Liaisons Report

Transmitter

New People/New Shows: Blair came to offer on loan her painting by the same artist who did the Beetles album, “Revolver”.   Blair wants to do a show after the New Year starts.

Max brought same samples of new shows (California Weekly Climate and Commonwealth Club). The group approved Max to air these from 10 to 11 am on Sundays.

Truck Parade: The truck parade is December 12 (the following Friday). David will bring his truck. Emily cannot be there. She will email Ginny about preparing Robot DJ. One of the “KYBU” lights is not working and needs replaced. Emily will try to repair it and will ask Ginny for the generator. We have many strings of lights. We could use duct tape and baling wire. It was suggested that we advertise our party on the truck.

Party: Dixie will drop off her lights (she works till 5pm). Sandy will provide Shushi. Madeline will make desserts. We could order trays from Keith’s or Costco. Blair will talk with Izzy when Izzy gets back from France. We need food for 100 people. Because Natalie will be in class, her friends Alex and Tera will cover the bar. Rainbow will help at the door. Everyone gets a drink ticket. Emily passed around a volunteer sign-up list.

DJs should be promoting the party on their shows.

The party starts at 7pm with some music. Volunteers are needed for the following (see Emily):

Lew needs help at 3pm to pick up stuff since he is still recovering, so the sound team needs to be there from 3pm to 5pm.

  • Set-up is from 4pm to 7pm (need lots of people, including decorating with streamers, KYBU stockings, Santa DJ, and a fire—Daniel will bring firewood)
  • Membership table (very technical and detailed)
  • Bar (Natalie’s friends will need help)
  • Cleanup at 11pm (need lots of people again)

11/25/14 KYBU Meeting Notes

KYBU Meeting

Library Community Room

11/25/14 – 5:00pm

 Meeting Notes Corrections: Committee members who wish to correct these meeting notes, please send corrections to notes@kyburadio.org. Please note that these are not minutes but personal notes that are not necessarily accurate or complete but hopefully helpful.

Attendees: Emily, Ryan, Jay, Clive, Marie, Lew, and Mary Jane

Agenda:

Introductions

New People/New Shows

Programmers Meeting 12/2

Party 12-13-14

KMUD Tribal Elections

Bill Cosby Comedy

Merch@mercantile

New People/New Shows: Marie will return next year and wants to do music once or twice a week, including French music. Emily will email Marie some helpful documents.

Max paid Radio Free Berkeley and will follow up on it.

WE need to move some shows, including the Les Paul Show.

Max asked people to listen to California Weekly Climate and Commonwealth Club. We can put them on but should listen to them first and decide.

Programmers Meeting: Emily sent out an email for the 12/2/14 programmers meeting at 6pm. Please pass the word. The Truckers parade will be held on 12/12/14. Emily will bring a volunteer list for the 12/13/14 members party   Ryan will search online for two new office chairs for about $150 each to replace a couple of the old chairs.

Party 12-13-14:   Per Emily, party posters are up. Postcards will be mailed tonight. Membership signups will be at the door. The Sheriff has the liquor license. Robert DJ will be Santa. We will have a fire and stockings, a raffle. We’ll need to decorate and set up at 4pm. We need volunteers to help with decorating and obtaining raffle items.

KMUD Tribal Elections: We received an email from Christina at KMUD. Mary Jane will ask Eric (our liaison) about whether to announce the election results after the next election like we did the first election.

Bill Cosby Comedy: Our comedy in general needs work, and we need more comedy. There was a discussion held about keeping only the best comedy. Ryan has three albums of Richard Pryor.

Merch@mercantile: Per Max, Lynette wants to sell KYBU shirts. Emily thinks we have enough shirts for the December party. We need to buy more with a new design and a more types, including long-sleeved. We could have a new-design contest.

11/4/14 KYBU Meeting Notes

KYBU Meeting

Library Community Room

11/4/14 – 5:00pm

Meeting Notes Corrections:  Committee members who wish to correct these meeting notes, please send corrections to notes@kyburadio.org. Please note that these are not minutes but personal notes that are not necessarily accurate or complete but hopefully helpful.

Attendees:  Emily, Jay, Lew, Clive, Max, and Mary Jane

Agenda:

Introductions

New People/New Shows

Halloween

Dec. 13th Party

AAHP

PSAs

Outside Speaker

Hook and Anchor Band

Covelo 50th Anniversary

New People/New Shows:  Max added more bands (Beck & Flaming Lips) to the Radio Head automation playlist.  He may also add Zappa in. We need a lot more country songs.  Lew will try to get them.

Halloween:  Mike’s Halloween show was excellent.  Daniel brought hay bales and gourds.  Dixie and Mary Jane had a good time handing out candy to a lot of children and some adults.  Per Max, “War of the Worlds” didn’t play for some reason.

December 13th Party:  Fox contacted Lew to say he can come and asked about promo.  They are rated number one blues band in Oakland.  We will mail out postcards at the November 18th meeting.  Denny can’t do the food.  We are considering just doing appetizers and desserts.  Emily will ask Izzy what she thinks.  On Friday, Lew will ask the Friends about the liquor license.

AAHP:  Weather permitting, we will clean up on this coming Saturday.  Lew can’t help since he got hurt working.  Emily will announce the cleanup and let Mario know.

PSAs:  Some active PSAs need to be reviewed as to whether they should come down, and others should be added including, but not limited to, First 5 Mendocino, 26 seconds stay in school.  Emily and Clive will work on this.

Speaker:  The outside speaker is now on a timer to shut off from 2am to 6am as requested by a neighbor.

Hook and Anchor Band:  This band from Oregon will be playing at the North Fork Café on Saturday, November 22.  Emily will put some songs on a thumb drive and some information for DJs to read.  Emily highly recommends this band and we should tell everyone to come.

Covelo 50th Anniversary:  Per Lew, the end of December is the 50th anniversary of Covelo being cut off from the world when the bridges washed out in 1964.  Bill Cull could do a clip of interviews of local people responding to the questions “What were you doing then?” and “What do you remember about that time?”  Max and Lew will encourage Bill on this.

KYBU Meeting Notes 10/27/14

KYBU Meeting Notes
10/27/14
Round Valley Public Library

Attendees: Scott, Emily, Mike, Lew, Sharon, Max, Clive, Kramer

New People/New Shows
Scott wants to have a show. He filled out a program application and is working with Ryan and other DJs to learn. He is here until January.
Mike wants to lengthen his show to 9pm-11pm on Mondays starting 11/10/14. His 1 year anniversary will be on Halloween – Mike will DJ from 5pm to 7pm on Halloween.

EAS – Fixed.
Per Max and Lew, the Emergency Alert System is fixed and the log shows that tests have been sent.

HS Football.
Lew and Kramer helped broadcast the homecoming game. The next game is Saturday, November 1st at 1pm. Clive will sit in the studio.

Halloween.
Mike will DJ from 5pm to 7pm. War of the Worlds will play at 8pm. Djs and volunteers are welcome to come hand out candy to trick or treaters. It might be raining. Mario and Mary Jane decorated the studio and Daniel brought hay bales and gourds to decorate the outside. Happy Halloween!

12.13.14 Party
Lew is waiting on confirmation from Fox Blues Band. Lew will ask at the next Friend’s meeting to get a liquor license. We’ll start emailing/postering/postcarding on and around November 18.

Bulletin Board
Sandy will cover the first two weeks in November, Sharon has the next two covered.

Street Feed.
A neighbor requested that the outdoor speaker be turned off at night. A timer will be installed to turn it off and back on again in the morning.

Weather
Poonkinney Peggy’s weather report was cut off last week by Native America Calling. It will be moved earlier.

Friday Night.
Clive suggested that we contact Groove Central and ask if they are planning on continuing to create a daytime ready program, and if so, he suggests we move Friday night to be:
8pm Earthsongs
9pm Groove Central
10pm Dakh Side
11pm Basement Tapes

Files on Laptop
The studio laptop has the updated Programmer’s Guide & Application and other useful documents located in the “Documents” folder

10/21/14 KYBU Meeting Notes

KYBU Meeting

Library Community Room

10/21/14 – 5:00pm

Meeting Notes Corrections: Committee members who wish to correct these meeting notes, please send corrections to notes@kyburadio.org. Please note that these are not minutes but personal notes that are not necessarily accurate or complete but hopefully helpful.

Attendees: Emily, Max, Mary Jane, Kramer, Lew, Dixie, and Mario

Agenda:

Introductions

New People/New Shows

Halloween

Friday Football

December Party

Workshop

Equipment

Computer Documents

New People/New Shows: Lew has a friend Andy who has archived all his blues and would like to put together playlists and send some demos to Lew. He would need to add our station ID.

Halloween: Max will pick up Halloween candy for Friday’s event, Mario will decorate the studio right after the meeting, Dixie and Mary Jane will hand out candy. Other KYBU volunteers are welcome to come in costume and participate. We need hay bales (depends on the weather). We would like to broadcast War of the Worlds at 8pm. A brief discussion was held about having a cauldron and dry ice.

Friday Football: Kramer will help Lew with the game broadcast starting at 7pm. Sometimes the stream will drop off from iTunes.

December Party: Emily will ask Joey to design a new long-sleeved shirt. She is still working on the financials. Lew is assuming Fox is coming. It was suggested that later on we could do different shirts for events. We need a liquor license. Denny and Izzy may do the food in exchange for underwriting.

Workshop: Sunday will be our last workshop for the year. Emily will send out a newsletter.

Equipment: Lew will forward our backup equipment wish list for Mary Jane to follow up on a referral by Steve Francis to the Mendocino County Health & Human Services Agency contact who could help provide emergency prep equipment for us (Tami Bartolomei, OES coordinator – 463-5667).

Per Max, today we bought a 150-watt backup transmitter for $915 plus $40 shipping (including XLR inputs and mono broadcasts).

Computer Documents: Emily will put the Programmers Guide and other computer documents on our KYBU computer for Lew and others to pull up and print out as needed.

10/14/14 KYBU Meeting Notes

KYBU Meeting

Library Community Room

10/14/14 – 5:00pm

Meeting Notes Corrections: Committee members who wish to correct these meeting notes, please send corrections to notes@kyburadio.org. Please note that these are not minutes but personal notes that are not necessarily accurate or complete but hopefully helpful.

Attendees: Emily, Max, Mario, Lew and Mary Jane

Agenda:

Introductions

New People/New Shows

Equipment

Holly and Huffman

December Party

Halloween

New People/New Shows: Mario is interested in doing a show, so Emily, Max and Lew filled him in and offered support.

Equipment: A discussion was held about the equipment we need to buy, including backup generator and transmitter equipment, propane tank, and keycard. The backup equipment and generator are high priority. Lew wants to get with another contractor to help figure things out. Mario and Max are willing to help trench. It was suggested that Mario work on finding a costume maker for a raven suit. We eventually will purchase and install a keycard and accountability system (cost is about $2,000). Emily is still working on the financials, but we should be able to purchase the backup equipment. Per Max, we should get the 150 watt transmitter for around $800.

Holly and Huffman: Lew will conduct live interviews with Holly tonight and Huffman tomorrow. Several questions were forwarded for these interviews. Lew will record the interviews.

December Party: The December 6 party date has been changed due to a conflict with M&M’s annual party. The new date KYBU anniversary party date is December 13, which is a special date because it’s 12-13-14. Lew recalled that the first song we played on air was “Johnny Be Good”. Lew left a message with Fox about the party date change to see if the band can still come.

Halloween: KYBU will be celebrating Halloween at the station and handing out candy on Friday, October 31. We would like a caldron with dry ice, hay bales, orange lights, and other decorations. It would be great to have some KYBU volunteers in costume to help out. Last year, our fortune teller Dixie was a great hit with kids. Mario and Mary Jane are willing to help decorate after next week’s meeting. Bring your decorations and help, too, on Tuesday, October 21. This is fun and good PR.